BARC (BHABHA ATOMIC RESEARCH CENTRE)
The BARC is India‘s premier nuclear research facility based in Trombay, Mumbai, Maharashtra. BARC is a multi-disciplinary research centre with extensive infrastructure for advanced research and development covering the entire spectrum of nuclear science, engineering and related areas. BARC Training Schools provide two Training Schemes to deserving candidates ambitious of pursuing a rewarding career in Nuclear Science, Engineering and Technology and
- who would relish challenges in frontier areas of Science & Technology,
- who would like to be part of an expanding program of Nuclear Power / Research Reactors, Accelerators and Nuclear Fuel Cycle Technologies,
- who would enjoy pursuing innovative research in frontier areas of Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Biosciences, Geology and Geophysics.
They are respectively called Orientation Course for Engineering Graduates and Science Postgraduates (OCES) and DAE Graduate Fellowship Scheme for Engineering Graduates and Physics Postgraduates (DGFS).
Successful completion of the Training Schemes guarantees employment as Scientific Officer ‘C’ in one of the DAE units or Atomic Energy Regulatory Board with attractive career progression opportunities up to the highest echelons.
DAE strives to have a workforce which reflects gender balance and woman candidates are encouraged to apply.
- General Category – 26 years
- OBC-29 years
- SC/ST–31 years
- Dependents of those who died in the riots of 1984 (Dep1984) -31 years
- Persons domiciled in Kashmir division of Jammu and Kashmir State from 01/01/1980 to 31/12/1989 (Dom. Kashmir) – 31 years.
- Physically Challenged persons are eligible for age relaxation of maximum up to 10 years.
MSc in Physics/ Applied Physics/ Electronics or BE/ BTech in Engineering Physics with minimum of 60%* aggregate marks.
MSc applicants should have Physics and Mathematics up to BSc or at subsidiary and/or ancillary level in case of five year integrated MSc, with minimum of 60%* aggregate marks in MSc as well as in BSc.
Applicants opting to be considered on the basis of GATE Score should have valid GATE Score in Physics.
For applicants having BE (Engineering Physics) or MSc (Electronics) as qualifying degree, valid GATE Score in Engineering Science is also acceptable.
MSc in Chemistry with Physics up to BSc or at subsidiary and/or ancillary level in case of five year integrated MSc and Mathematics up to Std. XII, with minimum of 60% aggregate marks in MSc as well as in BSc.
Applicants opting to be considered on the basis of GATE Score should have valid GATE Score in Chemistry.
MSc in Agriculture, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology,Biotechnology, Genetics, Botany, Zoology, Plant Science, Plant Breeding, Plant Pathology, Entomology, Food Technology, Animal Science, Life Sciences and Biosciences
BE/BTech/BSc (Tech) only in Food Technology with minimum of 60%* aggregate marks.
MSc applicants should have Physics or Chemistry or Biochemistry or Agriculture Chemistry up to BSc or at subsidiary and/or ancillary level in case of five-year integrated MSc with minimum of 60%* aggregate marks in MSc as well as in BSc.
Applicants opting to be considered on the basis of GATE Score should have valid GATE Score in Life Sciences.
Those having MSc with specialization in subjects like Fisheries, Horticulture, Forestry, Agronomy, Animal Husbandry, Marine Biology and HomeScience etc and BE/BTech/MTech in Biotechnology/Genetic Engineering are not eligible.
Selection to OCES / DGFS is a two-step process: Screening to short-list candidates followed by Selection Interviews of the short-listed candidates.
There is a separate Selection Process for each of the disciplines except for Radiological Safety Engineering (RSE) which is not a separate discipline but an additional Training Scheme option for applicants in Nuclear Engineering, Physics and Chemistry disciplines.
- A) Screening for Selection Interviews is based on two alternative methods:
(a) On the basis of Online Examination:
- Online Examination is conducted in each of the nine Engineering disciplines and five Science disciplines in more than forty cities spread across India.
- Travel Allowance is not paid for appearing in it.
- Candidates who register for the Online Examination will be able to choose their examination center as well as date and time of the session in which they wish to appear for the Online Examination, subject to availability. Allocation of slot to candidates for taking the Online Examination will be done on a first come, first served basis.
(b) On the basis of GATE Score:
Candidates will be screened in for Selection Interview on the basis of a valid GATE score in the applicable GATE subject. Applicants with a degree in ‘Nuclear Engineering’ will be screened in only on the basis of Online Examination.
Candidates may note the following:
- As the cutoff GATE scores for screening in to Selection Interviews will be finalized only after the conclusion of the Online Examination, candidates are advised to maximize their chance of being screened in to the Selection Interview by availing both the Screening Channels (GATE score as well as Online Examination).
- Candidates who opt for screening through Online Examination should book an examination slot of their choice, subject to availability, by visiting the official website. Alerts by email as well as SMS will be sent to all candidates who have opted for the Online Examination on their registered email addresses and mobile numbers as well as announced on this website, prior to commencement of the slot booking process. Examination slots will be allocated on first come, first served basis, subject to availability. Candidates are advised to visit the website regularly for updates regarding this.
- The candidates who have opted for screening only on the basis of a GATE Score will not be permitted to book an examination slot for the Online Examination
Students from UM-DAE CBS and NISER: Students graduating with a Masters Degree from University of Mumbai – Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Excellence in Basic Sciences (UM-DAE CBS) and National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar, and whose Cumulative Grade Performance Average (CGPA) is greater than or equal to 7.5 on a scale of 10 will directly be screened in to the Selection Interview stage, provided they meet all other eligibility requirements of the OCES/DGFS programs. Such candidates should first submit their application for the OCES/DGFS programs on the Online Application Portal and subsequently forward their details through the Directors of their Institutes. As the final CGPA is not known till the end of the tenth semester, students from UM-DAE CBS and NISER are advised to appear for the Online Examination and / or upload a valid GATE score, to maximize their chances of being screened in to the Selection Interview stage.
- Selection Interviews:
Selection Interviews of short-listed candidates will be conducted in Mumbai (in all disciplines except Geology and Geophysics) and Hyderabad (in Geology and Geophysics). Outstation applicants will be paid two-way second-class sleeper train fare, from their registered residential address, by shortest route or actual fare whichever is less.
Probable period of Selection Interviews is during May-June. Short-listed candidates will be able to choose an Interview slot based on availability. Alerts by email as well as SMS will be sent to all candidates who have been short-listed for Selection Interview on their registered email addresses and mobile numbers, as well as announced on this website, prior to commencement of the Interview slot booking process.
Final Selection for the OCES/DGFS programs will be based solely on performance in Selection Interview, subject to medical fitness. A list of provisionally (subject to medical fitness) selected candidates will be displayed on this website. The selected candidates will also be informed about their Selection by email and SMS.
Candidates selected for OCES, who have obtained admission for applicable M. Tech. / M. Chem. Engg. programs in DGFS Institutes and who wish to be considered for DGFS, must provide details of their M. Tech. / M. Chem. Engg.