JEST (JOINT ENTRANCE SCREENING TEST)
JEST is being conducted for admission to PhD /Integrated PhD. Programme in Physics, Theoretical Computer Science and Neuroscience or Computational Biology in one of the Participating Institutes may appear for the Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST). JEST is the reputed examination takes place every year. This test is commenced in the month of February every year. In order to be part of the examination. You need to fill the application form prior which is available usually from 15 November to 16 December.
Eligibility Criteria for JEST
For PhD Program in Physics
Candidates must have done M.Sc in Physics or M.Sc or M.E or M.Tech in related orders.
- Candidates must have done M.Sc in Applied Mathematics or Applied Physics or Mathematics or Optics and Instrumentation or Electronics or Photonics will be taken as IIA.
- B.Tech and BE will be considered at IMSc, IISc, IUCAA, ICTS-TIFR, RRI, IISER Mohali, NCRA-TIFR, JNCASR, IISER Thiruvananthapuram, IISER Pune and TIFR-TCIS
- Candidates who are showing up the last year of B.Sc or giving first year of M.Sc in Physics, Astronomy, Applied Mathematics, Electronics are qualified to apply.
- On the off chance that you have done M.Sc in Applied Physics, Engg Physics or Physics then it will be considered at IPR, at TIFR, Candidates who have done B.Tech, Engineering Physics and M.Sc Physics can apply for this.
For Integrated M.Sc/M.Tech-PhD Program
- Candidates who have done BSc that will be considered for the Integrated M.Sc, PhD Program in Physics at SNBNCBS, HRI, NCRA-TIFR, ICTS-TIFR , IISER-Pune, TIFR-TCIS.
- Candidates who have done unhitched Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Science, Computer Sci., Statistics and Engg IT will likewise be considered for affirmation in PhD Physics, Theoretical Computer Science (a portion of a coordinated PhD Program).
Age Limit – No age limit is applicable for JEST.
Details regarding the on-going programmes of JEST at different institutions are available at website www.jest.org.in
The questions for JEST will be based on the general syllabus of graduation and post-graduation level courses offered by various Indian universities and institutions; some questions from previous year’s examinations are available at www.jest.org.in
Syllabus of Physics and Sample questions of Physics and Theoretical Computer Science are available at the official website
JEST Participating Institutes:
ARIES – Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital
HBNI – Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai.
HRI – Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad
ICTS – International Centre for Theoretical Sciences (TIFR), Bangalore
IGCAR – Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam
IIA – Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore
IISc – Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
IISER BHOPAL – Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Bhopal
IISER KOLKATA – Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata
IISER MOHALI – Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali
IISER PUNE – Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune
IISER THIRUVANANTHAPURAM – Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram
IIST – Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
IMSc – The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai
IOP – Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar
IPR – Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar
IUCAA – Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune
JNCASR – Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore
NBRC – National Brain Research Centre, Manesar
NCRA TIFR – National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, TIFR, Pune
NISER – National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar
PRL – Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
RRCAT – Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore
RRI – Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
SINP – Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata
SNBNCBS – Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata
TIFR TCIS – TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad
TIFR – Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
UGC DAE CSR – UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore
VECC – Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata