A fellowship provides financial aid to students to pursue graduate or post graduate studies in their preferred area in. Nowadays a number of Government and private organizations offers fellowships list and assistantship scheme that you need to be aware. Below is a list of few fellowship schemes that will help you find the most relevant one that exactly fits your need and requirement.
Purpose: Ministry of Science & Technology offers this programme to candidates who want to pursue bachelor’s as well as master’s (level) education in natural or basic sciences. Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) has three components:
- Scheme for Early Attraction of Talent (SEATS)
- Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE)
- Assured Opportunity for Research Careers (AORC)
Scholarship Amount: Rs 80,000 annually
Eligibility: Candidates are eligible to apply for INSPIRE programme if they:
- Are a part of the top 1% students in their Class 12 board exams and are studying Natural and Basic Sciences at BSc level or Integrated MSc level.
- Among top 10,000 rank holders in JEE or NEET and have also opted to study Natural and Basic sciences in any institute or university leading to BSc and MSc degrees.
- Have studied at any of the below mentioned colleges and have opted to study Natural and Basic sciences at the BSc or MSc level are eligible for SHE Scholarship.
- Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Basic Sciences
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY)
- National Talent Search Examination (NTSE)
- Jagadish Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS) scholars
- International Olympiad medalists
When to Apply: September/October
Application Mode: Online on the official website of INSPIRE Pogramme.
NAROTAM SEKHSARIA SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME
Purpose: Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation offers interest-free loan scholarships to students who want to pursue PG courses in fields like Applied Sciences, Pure Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities, Architecture Law, and Management at good Indian as well as international universities.
Scholarship Amount: Maximum Rs 20 lakhs
Eligibility: Aspirants meet eligibility criteria for this scholarship if they are-
- Indian nationals residing in the country
- Below 30 years of age
- Final year graduation student or have completed graduation from a recognised university
When to Apply: Between January to March
Application Mode: Online on the official website of Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Programme.
INDIRA GANDHI SCHOLARSHIP FOR SINGLE GIRL CHILD
Purpose: This scholarship is offered by UGC in order to help families to pay for post-graduation level education of girl child.
Scholarship Amount: Rs 2000 per month for maximum two years
Eligibility: Any girl who is the only girl/twin daughter/fraternal daughter of a family and has secured admission in full-time (regular) Master’s degree programme from a recognised university/college is eligible to apply for this scholarship. Age limit for this scholarship is 30 years.
When to Apply: Around August
Application Mode: Online on the official website of UGC’s Post-Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child for PG Programme.
POST-GRADUATE MERIT SCHOLARSHIP FOR UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDER
Purpose: Aspirants are offered this scholarship to promote higher education in India. Candidates who secure this scholarship can pursue their post-graduation studies in any specialisation from any higher education institute in India.
Scholarship Amount: Rs 3,100 per month
Eligibility: Rank holders of each university at UG level are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
When to Apply: May to August
Application Mode: Online on the official website of UGC’s Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holders for PG Programmes.
WOMEN SCIENTIST SCHEME (WOS-A)
Purpose: Department of Science and Technology offers this scholarship to encourage women scientists as well as technologists to pursue research in basic/applied sciences.
Scholarship Amount: As part of this scheme, aspirants are awarded a research grant such that for PhD holders or equivalent candidates the maximum amount granted is Rs 30 lakh and for MSc or equivalent the maximum grant amount is Rs 20 lakh. The amount is awarded for a maximum duration of three years.
Eligibility: Women candidates who are pursuing MSc or PhD are eligible to apply for this scheme. The official website informs that “the minimum age limit under WOS-A is 27 years and maximum age for MSc or equivalent category is 35 years and for PhD and equivalent category is 57 years”.
When to Apply: All through the year
Application Mode: By post and Online on the online on the official website of Women Scientists Scheme.
AcSIR Dr APJ ABDUL KALAM SUMMER TRAINING PROGRAMME
Purpose: As part of this programme, aspirants are provided with an opportunity to work at premier research Laboratories of CSIR during the summer months (May to August).
Scholarship Amount: Candidates are awarded Rs 25,000 for the programme duration. Selected students are also given travel allowance such that it does not exceed Rs 5,000. The amount is paid to aspirants after they complete their training programme and submit their project report to Lab Coordinator.
Eligibility: Candidates are eligible to apply for this summer training programme if they are in their:
- First year of MSc programme or equivalent wherein in they have secure minimum first-class at pre-MSc degree level.
- Third to pre-final year of Integrated MSc programme or equivalent in which they have a GPA score of 6.0 on a scale of 10 (upto IV Semester).
- First year of ME/MTech programme or equivalent in which they have a GPA score of 8.0 on a scale of 10 OR GPA 7.0 on a scale of 10 for CFTIs at BE/BTech level or GATE Score ≥600 or NET (Engineering) Rank from 1 to 100.
- Third year of BE/BTech programme or equivalent in which they have a GPA score of 8.0 on a scale of 10 OR GPA 7.0 on a scale of 10 for CFTIs (upto IV Sem)
- Third to pre-final year of Integrated ME/MTech programme or equivalent in which they have a GPA score of 8.0 on a scale of 10 OR GPA 7.0 on a scale of 10 for CFTIs (upto IV Sem) or GATE Score ≥600 or NET (Engineering) Rank from 1 to 100.
When to Apply: December to January
Application Mode: Online on the official website of AcSIR.
Purpose: Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam offers Junior Research Fellowship to candidates who want to do research work in areas such as physical, chemical as well as engineering sciences.
Scholarship Amount: Rs 16,000 per month
Eligibility: Aspirants need to be Indian nationals and should be less than 28 years of age. Further, candidates should have secure atleast 60% aggregate marks at the UG/PG level.
When to Apply: May to June
Application Mode: Offline and Online on the official website of IGCAR.